Monday, May 4, 2015

Walmart The Aftermath: The opinion of a former employee



             

 Walmart The Aftermath: 

The opinion of a former employee


It has been almost a month since I left Walmart for a better company. I have found it almost impossible to set foot in another Walmart store, unless absolutely necessary. I can’t shake the feeling I had while working there, how I was treated by customers, how many times I got pulled to work in an area I knew nothing about, then getting yelled at by customers because I lacked the knowledge of that area.
            It’s hard seeing the faces of employees that work there. They work so hard to put food on the table and barely make enough to pay bills. I will never forget being coached (the second time for the same reason) by a member of management for having to call off work because my car couldn’t drive in the snow. I tried for hours that night to at least arrive late. No matter what I did, my car wouldn’t move. When I gave my reason, the assistant manager simply told me that I needed to get a better car so I could make it to work. $9.75/hour is not enough money to pay for a better car. The manager’s comment was not appropriate. I always worked hard and completed my work in a timely manner; yet, I was punished for something that was out of my hands.
            Upon receiving a second coaching, Walmart associates receive a 1-year probation period. During that time they are unable to promote or transfer stores. Most companies probation periods last no longer than six months. Associates have to deal with stress from two sources:


  • Customers: Customers offer no sympathy to the associate. Any given associate is more than likely responsible for several departments, while exercising the responsibilities of a department manager and being on part-time status. Most Walmart associates make little more than $9.00 an hour.



  • Management: From management is the constant threat of being coached. I have the heard stories of former coworkers who have been coached simply for forgetting a name tag at home. The internet is filled with stories of associates being coached for trivial things such as name tags or not completing tasks due to customer service. The thing that drives me crazy is that there is no liaison that is able to speak to management on behalf of the associates. This would be a good position for Walmart to consider for its stores.


I have found other stores that have been extremely helpful for all of my shopping needs. It’s so relaxing to be able to shop at a Kroger or a Target. The employees never seem stressed and always have smiles on their faces. Walmart is in need of a revolution. I recommend Walmart pay more attention to its associates; they know the customer better than anyone else. Solutions come from associates, not spreadsheets.